things I have been doing in addition to painting what must be the equivalent to every flat surface on the earth:

| On
Monday, January 16, 2006
1) reading Pride & Prejudice. I realized that I had either never read all of it, or it had been so long I couldn't be sure. Shocking!!! Having read about half of it now, I know that couldn't have read it a long time ago and forgotten - it is so freaking good!! I really wanted to read it before I started the new Crusie-edited Pride & Prejudice essay book: Flirting with Pride & prejudice : fresh perspectives on the original chick-lit masterpiece. I am not nuts about the chick-lit term, but I guess that genie is already out of the bottle.

2) Playing with Clutter, which is a really nifty application that lets me put the cover art on all of my albums in iTunes. I don't even have a video iPod, so I suppose it shouldn't matter, but I'm having fun with it and I'm for fun. So there.

3) Went on a brief photo-taking jaunt today to take advantage of the not-rain. Notice I didn't say sunshine. The clouds were pretty, anyway. downtown

4) Thought about a bunch of other projects I am really fired up to do right now. Then I thought about WHY it is that I am all of the sudden fired up to do them. Is it because the new year always brings lots of enthusiasm since I don't have the pressure of holiday stuff? Or is it for the more probable and less benign reason that I want to work on that Nano story from a couple of years ago, and my brain is fighting itself? Knock it off in there!

5) While painting, (which largely consists of climbing up and down a ladder, taping things, and dropping paintbrushes full of paint on the one spot of floor there is no newspaper covering..etc.) I have been listening to the playlist I made for that soon to be worked on nano story. So fun! I haven't listened to it in a while, and it really brought back a lot of the things I like about my story. A couple of songs no longer work, a couple new songs presented themselves, and I *think* I might have come up with a solution for something that probably would only ever bother me. But I count! Of course I haven't read it in a while, so that good feeling could leak away. But maybe it won't go entirely.

6) (completely shallow): I have spent a few minutes - ok, more than a few, but not a lot - wondering why hot-as-the-sun (and also very talented, she hastened to add) Rhett Miller has made himself over to look not unlike he should be on Desperate Housewives. I know, I know - new look for the new album. I guess I will need more photos to properly evaluate. Poor me!

7) enjoying the He Wrote, She Wrote blog featuring Jennifer Crusie and Bob Mayer. They have collaborated (although I have learned that collaboration is not the preferred term, but I can't remember what the right word is) on a novel coming out in the spring. She typically writes romance, he typically writes action-thrillers, but this combo looks like it will be a lot of fun. The blog is certainly entertaining (and illuminating) to read! Not only are they each funny and clearly very fond of each other, but it is interesting to see how they have such differing creative approaches, yet very similar dedication to their work. And they are both very open talking about how the process works for them, which I always like to read. I hope they have a hit on their hands.
2 comments on "things I have been doing in addition to painting what must be the equivalent to every flat surface on the earth:"
  1. heh, you know you can't mention Rhett Miller and a way to pass time on the internet without me following up on it. The main picture on his vervemusic site... It reminds me of Felicity Huffman's character from Transamerica.
    OK, upon further evaluation they don't really look THAT MUCH alike (but a little, yes).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was thinking that he looked more like Teri Hatcher's strangely mannish younger sister who comes to Wisteria Lane and really causes some trouble. (if you know what I mean, and I think that you do) I think it's the highlights and haircut in combination with that velvet jacket. I'm not opposed to velvet jackets, or highlights, or haircuts - I just think if you're going to wear THAT velvet jacket that maybe your hair should be kind of rockstar messy instead of salon flippy.

    ReplyDelete