oh you teen detectives

| On
Tuesday, September 07, 2010
peggy gets around
(photo is from the back of a Peggy Lane Theater Series girl detective book.)

I wish I could describe the noise I made when I read these hilarious Nancy Drew comics by Kate Beaton. (involuntary high pitched dolphin pig noise. There, I've said it.) She just gets better and better which is great for all of us because she was so good to start with.

Now whenever I see Nancy Drew books at work (all the time) the covers seem even more delightfully bizarre. Today's treasure was The Ringmaster's Secret. (Dude with a villain mustache in a top hat and whip(!) superimposed over Nancy standing on a horse's back like a jewelry box ballerina.)

TENUOUS SEGUE

Also excellent, from August: Matthew Perpetua's interview with Rob Sheffield about Sheffield's new book, Talking to Girls About Duran Duran.

As a former teen girl in the 1980s who was obsessed (OBSESSED) with popular music (particularly if it came from the UK*) I loved this discussion. I wish they'd get together and talk about music once a month. (I say once a month since every day seems an unreasonable request.) The link is to part 1, but you should click through and read them all. I haven't read the book yet, but I'm looking forward to it.

*I went to a religious boarding academy (high school) which was very strict about not allowing secular music lest we catch the Devil from it. Long story short, I had a friend on the outside (she was "village" and also from England, so she was double cool in my estimation) who made me mix tapes from the local college radio station and smuggled them into the dorm. Kids today with their internet! They don't know how good they've got it.
Be First to Post Comment !
Post a Comment

EMOTICON
Klik the button below to show emoticons and the its code
Hide Emoticon
Show Emoticon
:D
 
:)
 
:h
 
:a
 
:e
 
:f
 
:p
 
:v
 
:i
 
:j
 
:k
 
:(
 
:c
 
:n
 
:z
 
:g
 
:q
 
:r
 
:s
:t
 
:o
 
:x
 
:w
 
:m
 
:y
 
:b
 
:1
 
:2
 
:3
 
:4
 
:5
:6
 
:7
 
:8
 
:9