how do you feel?

| On
Tuesday, July 08, 2008
Other Beatle: How do you feel?

Ringo: With me hands, usually.


(Beatle quotes approximate! Please recall that lame puns are 125% funnier with Liverpool accent, 200% funnier when said by a Beatle, and 500% funnier when said by Ringo.That's just the way it is.)

I thought today was going to be the kind of day where I would intersperse reading on the patio with crossing off items on my to-do list (first item: make list!) but it wasn't to be: I got called into work -- but it was okay! I was there just the right amount of time, it was air conditioned (hot today) and they called me, which is always nice.

ANYWAY. I have too many DVDs out from the library. The limit on DVDs* is 15 -- usually it's not a problem, but all these great foreign movies that I want to watch keep crossing my path at work. I drag them home, and they LANGUISH while I wait and wait until finally I can't renew them anymore, make myself sit down and watch them, and then think "why did I wait so long?!?" I do this all the time!! Anyway, I have to get moving on some of these because Lubitsch's The Love Parade is waiting for me and something has to go back. So tonight I watched Help! (which I realize is not in a foreign language, but shut up! it's hot outside and I can't read subtitles effectively when I have to get up every 10 minutes for a new popsicle, okay?) I will have more to say about this later, but it featured a Beatle song I hadn't heard/thought of in a long time. (crucial youtube video below:)



According to Wikipedia, this song was "John doing Dylan." I quite like it. And the video (from the movie) is classic. (Ignore Leo McKern with a gigantic styrofoam manhole cover on his head... if you can.) I love how they reinforce their Beatle (Boy Band) Personalities in this segment: Thinky Acoustic Dylan John in front of the library, shy but sly flirty George, cheeky flirty Paul, and of course RINGO in the bed cave with a tambourine! (I knew I wasn't the only one who kept a tambourine under my pillow!!) In mid-century modern news, I love the sideboard in the scene with the lawn-mowing hobo-hippie who plays the flute/clarinet/woodwind of some sort. (in fact, I think I've seen most of this furniture in the Design Within Reach catalog.)

Book News: I didn't have a chance to get very far (YET) due to the working today and all, but from the first 12 pages of Lynda Barry's What It Is (Powell's, library), I am already willing to call it one of the best books I've read all year. If you are interested in writing, visual art, or really creativity of any kind do yourself a favor and get your hands on this book right away. I bonded with it before I opened it (from the cover!) but I knew it was going to be great by the time I read this: " The thing I call 'my mind' seems to be kind of like a landlord that doesn't really know its tenants. (...) Who is playing that music? That song I said is 'stuck' in my head? Which apartment are they in?"

Other Summer Reading News: I have a TON of short stories arriving on my doorstep and already here. I guess I'd better get busy. I have also decided that I'm having an Ephronathon this summer. I don't know why, but it just popped into my head not that long ago that I've really enjoyed everything I've ever read by Nora Ephron, so maybe I should read MORE of it. yeah! Plus, I really enjoy saying "Ephronathon."

Okay. this was going to have more, but I will save it for another post.

*library limits for our system are as follows: total items: 150 (very generous!), 15 CDs, 15 DVDs. I think the limits on media used to be higher (or not at all) but people (ahem) were hoarding things. The limits keep stuff circulating, which is the whole point.
Be First to Post Comment !
Post a Comment

EMOTICON
Klik the button below to show emoticons and the its code
Hide Emoticon
Show Emoticon
:D
 
:)
 
:h
 
:a
 
:e
 
:f
 
:p
 
:v
 
:i
 
:j
 
:k
 
:(
 
:c
 
:n
 
:z
 
:g
 
:q
 
:r
 
:s
:t
 
:o
 
:x
 
:w
 
:m
 
:y
 
:b
 
:1
 
:2
 
:3
 
:4
 
:5
:6
 
:7
 
:8
 
:9