all the rest have thirty one

| On
Saturday, August 29, 2009
gold star

august is so long! I know it's just as long as most other months of the year (apart from september, april, june, november and february), but this august has felt like it's 10000 days. Mostly this has been a good thing -- I've read a lot of books and had a second beach vacation (I'm very lucky) and other fun stuff. But I've also been having a weird period of physical malady with twists, sprains, compression bandages, face band-aids and spectacular arm bruises. What's up with that? I won't even try to explain the weird headache stuff since I think 20% of this blog is full of it already.

ANYWAY, between having fun and injuring myself, I've been having all these ideas. One of the latest is that I'm going to start going to the movies again -- I pretty much quit for a long time for many reasons (biggest reason = inertia), but decided that the time to resume is now. I want to vote with my dollars! I'm lucky because portland has lots of places to see movies, including a variety of second-run (cuz I'm slow) and art house theaters. Anyway, my very modest goal is to try and see at least one a month in the theater. More if I feel like it, but let's not get crazy. I also want to watch more movies at home, especially since it's so easy for me to pick them up at work. (fellow portlanders: the library has a really great collection of dvds.)

But like I said, I'm all full of ideas and short on implementation. (being full of implementation sounds like a painful medical condition. Maybe being full of implementation but not implementing is what's causing my month of casualty -- if I would actually DO any of the things I need to do, perhaps I would stop falling down and walking into things, etc.) I need to break this stuff down into actionable lists! Or something. I did make a list on a whiteboard (it has categories!), but it's still too broad; despite running around and being busy, I didn't get anything crossed off. I need to put Make Detailed List on a list and mark it #1. But that's a job for tomorrow, day #9997 of August. I'm hoping to cross at least 2 things off the list and avoid any new injuries. I think I can do it.

here's an 8 second campfire for you (from beach vacation 1: camping). I roasted marshmallows over this very fire without burning myself! (I did spill hot chocolate all over my lap, but you know, that's another story.)

2 comments on "all the rest have thirty one"
  1. I am just curious about "voting with your dollars" - I mean, what if you hate the movie? Your dollars falsely represent that you liked it. That it is popular!

    Not that I am trying to discourage your falling on the grenade of poor filmmaking for the benefit of the rest of us...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! Is that you, Anonymous T? you ask a very good question. I wondered myself after I posted if seeing a movie in a second run theater would even count. (I decided that it would, barely.) The library seems totally counter to this argument, but that's more to see old movies, some of which are not available any other way. (I would rather give my business to the library than netflix if possible, and not just because it's free!)

    Anyway -- I look at it like this: I'm a movie fan, but not the desired and catered-to teenage boy demographic. I feel like if I want more movies like I like, I should support the ones I think will fit that criteria. If I'm wrong, I can counteract my dollar vote by hopping on the twitter machine and badmouthing it instantly! What a glorious age!

    Also, I just kind of miss going to the movies.

    (note to self: get account on twitter machine.)

    (or not.)

    ReplyDelete

EMOTICON
Klik the button below to show emoticons and the its code
Hide Emoticon
Show Emoticon
:D
 
:)
 
:h
 
:a
 
:e
 
:f
 
:p
 
:v
 
:i
 
:j
 
:k
 
:(
 
:c
 
:n
 
:z
 
:g
 
:q
 
:r
 
:s
:t
 
:o
 
:x
 
:w
 
:m
 
:y
 
:b
 
:1
 
:2
 
:3
 
:4
 
:5
:6
 
:7
 
:8
 
:9