oh, weekend

| On
Sunday, August 16, 2009
good fortune cove (sign)
(this picture has nothing at all to do with the rest of this post, I just like the cartoon whale and the notion of Good Fortune Cove.)


FRIDAY: I twisted my ankle and bruised my butt playing fake jai alai over a volleyball net with a towheaded six year old who believes he is the reincarnation of the Lorax and/or anyone Star Wars. I fell like a sack of potatoes off the back of a truck; it was very surprising and also painful. I'm pretty sure this happened because I stepped in a hole hidden by grass and not because of any juvenile jedi mind tricks. (I truly believe he uses the force for good, or at least tries to.) That was the bad part. The good part was that I got to see people I'm very fond of whom I don't see very often.

SATURDAY: I got to go to a book shopping and to a lovely backyard birthday party, so that was good.

SUNDAY: this morning I forgot I was supposed to work and they called to say "uh, you're supposed to be at work" and I flew around to get ready while freaking out (I've never done this before) and got on my way as soon as possible, only to get behind a giant Suburban that insisted on going 5 miles under the speed limit (and thereby guaranteeing every goddamned red light on the street) and I couldn't see around it stress stress stress, until I realized that the BLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP Bleeping #$@#% FREEWAY was closed and I had to figure out how to get to my destination across town without it, which made me realize that being behind the Suburban wasn't really that stressful after all. The good part here was I swore so much in the car at every fresh hell detour I think I may have invented some new cursing combinations. It got so outrageous I had to laugh, which put me in a better frame of mind when I finally arrived at work, which turned out to be not nearly as huge of a deal as I feared. (The one woman who is always put out by everything was predictably put out, but there is no pleasing her so I'm not going to dwell on it. Everyone else was fine. These things happen, apparently.) The other good part is I checked out a book to a local writer whose work I admire and he was totally ace, which is always nice.

Then I got home and worked on a brand new project and watched a brand new Mad Men. I know it sounds crazy, but I think despite the bruises, ace bandages. lazy schedule monitoring and excessive unladylike swearing, the weekend overall goes in the success column! Tomorrow I have to help someone move, but I'm not going to predict how that bodes for the rest of the week.
3 comments on "oh, weekend"
  1. So very very thwarted! Aaaaaaugh! If you got through that day without your head totally exploding into a million pieces, you are to be highly commended! Go, you!

    I hope that fulfills your thwartedness quotient for the year. Decade. Century. Yikes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope it fulfills my thwartedness quotient too, but I have this sinking feeling that there's always more. The bright side is the rest of the day felt ridiculously easy after that rough start!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you enjoyed the back yard party. Sorry we didn't to talk as much as I would have liked. I didn't want to leave the neighbors all on their own at the leper table and my subtle hints to my mom after I moved to your area that she could have my old seat somehow fell on deaf ears. We'll have to do something soon. I think my work will be better/less overtimey after next week.

    ReplyDelete

EMOTICON
Klik the button below to show emoticons and the its code
Hide Emoticon
Show Emoticon
:D
 
:)
 
:h
 
:a
 
:e
 
:f
 
:p
 
:v
 
:i
 
:j
 
:k
 
:(
 
:c
 
:n
 
:z
 
:g
 
:q
 
:r
 
:s
:t
 
:o
 
:x
 
:w
 
:m
 
:y
 
:b
 
:1
 
:2
 
:3
 
:4
 
:5
:6
 
:7
 
:8
 
:9