less than twenty dollars

| On
Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Since I (finally) have the pictures ready let's take a look at my Friends of the Library book sale FINDS:

book sale bounty

Case Histories by Kate Atkinson - have you read this book? If you like mysteries, you should! It's so good and twisty and interconnected. (And the first of a series.)  Atkinson's such a good writer and she  lets the readers figure things out - one of my favorite moments in this book was when I put something together that the detective (Jackson Brodie) never discovered. I think that's hard to pull off from a writing standpoint, but it's so satisfying to the reader!

BBC recently did a very good Case Histories series starring Jason Isaacs (currently the lead of the NBC series Awake, which is interesting, well done, and sadly cancelled).  Read the books first, if you can! (But I believe the books would still be a pleasure if you happened to see the show first.)

Animals of the Seashore - Look at the cover and spine illustrations! how great are those? I saw that swirly spine and reached over another lady to grab it up. (she was looking at something else, it's not like I snatched it out of her hand.)

Charlie All Night by Jennifer Crusie -  Love her!  I think this is one set in a radio station? I'm pretty sure I've read it before, but I didn't have a copy. I'm not a huge fan mass market paperbacks (they don't last, the pages fall out, etc.) but if it's an author or title I particularly like, I'll grab it up and then pass it along when I find a binding I like better.

Golden Guide to Trees of North America - I love these Golden Nature guides and pick them up when I see them.  TREEEEEES, many illustrations of trees!

A River in the Sky by Elizabeth Peters - this is one of her more recent Amelia Peabody books (featuring Victorian lady adventures in Egyptian archaeology). I haven't read most of this series and this book is no exception. However, I do love (and collect) some of her other series, so I decided to start collecting the Peabody books as well. One day I'll have a beach house, and that beach house will need books!

Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norell by Susanna Clarke - I have this in paperback and have yet to read it. This hardcover was in such great shape (and has such an attractive spine!) I decided that a duplicate at $2 was a worthy expense.

The Botany of Desire by Michael Pollan - this was one of the few books over $2 that I picked up. (It was $5.) But it's a nice tight hardcover and I did enjoy this book. I would really like to find a nice copy of Second Nature, though.

Silent in the Grave by Deanna Raybourn - First in the Lady Julia series, which I have been enjoying so much! This book is in near perfect condition and would make a nice gift if I don't keep it myself. I wish they'd published all of them in hardback, but I think the rest came out in headless victorian bosom covered trade paper.

Fingersmith by Sarah Waters - I haven't read this since it was released, but my recollection of reading is one of staying up waaaay too late because my eyes were too wide with surprise to shut and the pages compulsively turned themselves as I read my way though plot twist after plot twist down narrow Victorian streets. Here's a sentence from the goodreads description: But no one and nothing is as it seems in this Dickensian novel of thrills and reversals.  Thrills and reversals!

book sale bounty

The covers. I think my total was something like $17, what a deal!


Be First to Post Comment !
Post a Comment

EMOTICON
Klik the button below to show emoticons and the its code
Hide Emoticon
Show Emoticon
:D
 
:)
 
:h
 
:a
 
:e
 
:f
 
:p
 
:v
 
:i
 
:j
 
:k
 
:(
 
:c
 
:n
 
:z
 
:g
 
:q
 
:r
 
:s
:t
 
:o
 
:x
 
:w
 
:m
 
:y
 
:b
 
:1
 
:2
 
:3
 
:4
 
:5
:6
 
:7
 
:8
 
:9