try reading out of order

| On
Thursday, October 08, 2009
doorway giraffe

Work has been busy this week, which is great because I like work and I like getting paid, but it means that my BIG PLANS to get a lot of stuff done in the garden before it starts raining will have to be accomplished tomorrow! I'm looking forward to it, though. It's supposed to be raining by Saturday. Deadlines are good.

Today was fun. I had lots of sweet/funny/charming patrons and only one entitled asshole, but I got to politely school him so that was fun too.

I think my favorite patrons today were j/ya-reading ladies of a certain age. (j stands for "juvenile", which straddles a pretty wide range of reading levels. ya is "young adult" which, as a category, varies wildly in terms of sophistication.) Anyway! Lady #1 plunked down the second Twilight book on the counter and announced: "you want to try something wild? try reading these out of order! I started with the last one, if you can imagine that." She was having a good time with it. Maybe she read all the flap about the last book and wanted to vet it for her grandkid/ward/whatever and got hooked in. Whatever the case, she is going to get to the bottom of this vampire romance business one way or another.

The other lady was KILLING ME with her insistence that she did not want to get drawn into another series that was not finished already! Her grandkids got her "sucked into this stuff" which was mostly j fantasy. She had about 5 books from one author and wanted to make sure that if they were part of a series, that the series was complete. She was not interested in waiting for some writer to bang out the ending - she wants to know NOW. (there was then a hysterical sidebar about how she understands on one level why J.K. Rowling might have needed to take time off to have her baby, but it really pissed her off because she was WAITING for that book.) Anyway, we figured out what we could figure out, and I told her that when she burned through this series, she should check at the reference desk and have them help her find more completed series.

In other book news, Wordstock is this weekend! I can't believe it. The dates keep moving around - first two years it was in April, then in November and now in October. Whatevs, Wordstock! I will be attending despite your best attempts to keep information from me. I have yet to figure out my schedule, but it doesn't matter; I always have a good time. This year I vow to write it up in a timely manner.

In a cruel twist of fate, the Friends of the Library annual book sale is also this weekend! Maybe it's not a cruel twist of fate. Maybe it's actually really convenient since the place where they're having the sale isn't that far from where Wordstock will be. Hmmm.
3 comments on "try reading out of order"
  1. I am with you, Jen, except: I have not dealt with all the house plants I have to find cosy homes for, before the Sunday frost, AND, I also have things to go in the ground and now it is going to rain on Saturday--and my plans for doing all that stuff. Hmmm. I understand that plants wet with rain don't get frost bit. I can always cross my fingers and my toes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe wordstock is already this weekend! I'm still deciding if i am going to go today or if I will dedicate my first day of vacation to Pajama Day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got the houseplants in! Except for the big heavy ones, which I suppose I should get in tonight. (sigh)

    Martina, you should totally go today (sunday)! I'm running late, but I'm going because there's stuff to see and I bought a two day ticket. Call me!

    ReplyDelete

EMOTICON
Klik the button below to show emoticons and the its code
Hide Emoticon
Show Emoticon
:D
 
:)
 
:h
 
:a
 
:e
 
:f
 
:p
 
:v
 
:i
 
:j
 
:k
 
:(
 
:c
 
:n
 
:z
 
:g
 
:q
 
:r
 
:s
:t
 
:o
 
:x
 
:w
 
:m
 
:y
 
:b
 
:1
 
:2
 
:3
 
:4
 
:5
:6
 
:7
 
:8
 
:9