happy halloween!

| On
Saturday, October 31, 2009
halloween
Happy Halloween! These jack o'lanterns are from last year.

halloween
I didn't make any this year and I missed it more than I thought I would. There's something about setting the candle in and watching the face flicker to life that is very satisfying - especially after dark when I can no longer see the sharpie marker lines I missed with the knife.

chalk pumpkin
This is also from last year - I found it on the sidewalk near where I get my hair cut. This pumpkin head was on the top of a crazy long snake monster body.

Next year, I want to go to this. I also want to think about what would be a good wear-all-day sort of costume. I've worn costumes to work before, but usually I'd regret it by lunch. One year it was a great ghostly gown made out of scrim fabric and cheesecloth. It was appropriately drapey and tattered with a belt made of chain, but it kept getting stuck on things or getting closed in doors after I'd gone through them, which was only hilarious the first 9 times it happened. By the end of the day my wig itched and I'd left parts of the gown all over the building. Another year I had trouble with the super tall witch hat I'd made out of paper, spray paint and netting. It's AWESOME and I still have it, but unfortunately the hat is so tall I couldn't go through regular doors without knocking it back. These costumes were both for an old, more office-type job. I'd have to really think about what would work for a day in the library. Hmmmm. (I didn't work today, so it wasn't an issue this year.)

Here are a couple of spooky-ish videos. One from the beginning of a movie, one from the end.


This is Halloween from The Nightmare Before Christmas. I am the Who in the call 'Who's there?'


End credits from the Lemony Snicket movie - I love this atmospheric and sinister paper animation!
2 comments on "happy halloween!"
  1. I think that I want to do something fun next Halloween. I never seem to think it is that big a deal but there is so much to do. There is some crazy fake graveyard in Milwaukie that did some Michael Jackson dance this year. It sounded like it was fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you could start practicing your Thriller dance right now! by the time next year comes around you'll be expert!!

    ReplyDelete

EMOTICON
Klik the button below to show emoticons and the its code
Hide Emoticon
Show Emoticon
:D
 
:)
 
:h
 
:a
 
:e
 
:f
 
:p
 
:v
 
:i
 
:j
 
:k
 
:(
 
:c
 
:n
 
:z
 
:g
 
:q
 
:r
 
:s
:t
 
:o
 
:x
 
:w
 
:m
 
:y
 
:b
 
:1
 
:2
 
:3
 
:4
 
:5
:6
 
:7
 
:8
 
:9