scouring wind

| On
Tuesday, October 13, 2009
wind wind wind! this wind is the cold sharp kind that scrubs away the last remnants of summer. Mother Nature sent out enforcers -- the season must turn! If summer won't go of its own volition she'll make it go, by force if necessary. Tender plants desiccate in front of my eyes like a sad sesame street timelapse; it's ridiculous how this upsets me, even though I know it's the way of things. They must die to be reborn, but I'm bummed out nevertheless -- I even feel bad for the spiders. (You can imagine a soundtrack of sad folk music if you like, but I've been listening to Jens Lekman and other Swedes as a buttress against the weather. They can be melancholy and sunny at the same time. I'm not sure how they do it.)

Thankfully, the worst of the wind seems to be over. Last night was so loud I hardly slept at all. My bedroom is upstairs, my bed partially under a window -- this is lovely when I can see the stars or the sunrise, but not so soothing when all I can see is tree tops whipping around in the hazy orange gas station/volcano light produced by street lamps combined with heavy, rain-bearing clouds. BUT, the wind (which is still around) seems to be transitioning to the old familiar RAIN, which is actually wonderful for sleeping. Hooray!

The wind isn't all bad -- I went for a nice long walk (wind at my back) and since it was cold I wore my coat, which means I have pockets again! Walking with minimal pockets is a drag.

Anyway. Here are some pictures from today's walk:

yellow
It's been a while since I've been out to the usual places -- partly due to laziness, partly because I was trying to complete some stuff at home, partly because of my ankle, which is still tender from my fall in AUGUST. All of this is bad and I could easily feel guilty about it, but instead I will say that being absent for a couple of weeks made differences that much easier to spot! This tree was green and now it's yellow!

tree arch
I love the tree drama -- the wind usually comes after the leaves have mostly turned and it sweeps them all away. Right now, I'd say that they're only about 30% turned. Maybe coming early means we'll have colored leaves for longer. (I said maybe!) It did blow many acorns right out of their caps, though. (probably part of some squirrel conspiracy.)

orange green red
the bundle of leaves that this leaf was part of was INCREDIBLY BEAUTIFUL. Pictures aren't even close. It was almost neon.

red already
These were all taken today within an hour of each other. The wind was blowing clouds in and out. This was an out moment. I do like the jaunty blue/red/orange thing going on here.

stop don't stop
I like the the light.

Now that fall is really truly I can deny it no longer here, I should take the time to make a couple of autumn resolutions: 1) stay hydrated 2) get enough sleep. There are many more, but I figure those make an excellent starting point.
Be First to Post Comment !
Post a Comment

EMOTICON
Klik the button below to show emoticons and the its code
Hide Emoticon
Show Emoticon
:D
 
:)
 
:h
 
:a
 
:e
 
:f
 
:p
 
:v
 
:i
 
:j
 
:k
 
:(
 
:c
 
:n
 
:z
 
:g
 
:q
 
:r
 
:s
:t
 
:o
 
:x
 
:w
 
:m
 
:y
 
:b
 
:1
 
:2
 
:3
 
:4
 
:5
:6
 
:7
 
:8
 
:9