the purloined poem

| On
Monday, October 02, 2006
I am back from the rain forest, and while I am sad to report there were no monkeys or parrots, I am happy to say we didn't end up in tribal jail. More on all of this (and Andrew Bird) soon -- but first here's a poem that I spotted (and STOLE --okay, copied down) at the Tacoma Borders. It's from the Cummings collection 95 poems. I like it.

#60

dive for dreams
or a slogan may topple you
(trees are their roots
and wind is wind)

trust your heart
if the seas catch fire
(and live by love
though the stars walk backwards)

honour the past
but welcome the future
(and dance your death
away at this wedding)

never mind a world
with its villains and heroes
(for god likes girls
and tomorrow and the earth)

E.E. Cummings
3 comments on "the purloined poem"
  1. I must say that poetry, for the most part, is not one of my favorite things. However, that little ditty was quite sweet. I hope that you get to see monkeys and parrots very soon...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you liked it. I think what I like best about it is the notion that you should do what you long to do (and trust yourself on what that is) because the world is a mess, has always been a mess and we're all going to die anyway, so why not? (and maybe the world is better if people are doing the things they dream about) Of course he says it so much better, which is why I love it!

    I'm counting on Leslie to come through with the tropical rain forest goods when she goes to Thailand! I will have vicarious parrots. do they have parrots in thailand? maybe not.... if not, I will rework my parrot plan. no worries. (I once held a hyacinth macaw on my arm when I was 10. they are very large.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That poem seems very timely. The images span a myriad of synapses bing bang boom--a jungle gym for the brain, thank you very much.

    I am so glad you will be writing about the Bird concert--I can hardly wait. But I will be patient, she said.

    ReplyDelete

EMOTICON
Klik the button below to show emoticons and the its code
Hide Emoticon
Show Emoticon
:D
 
:)
 
:h
 
:a
 
:e
 
:f
 
:p
 
:v
 
:i
 
:j
 
:k
 
:(
 
:c
 
:n
 
:z
 
:g
 
:q
 
:r
 
:s
:t
 
:o
 
:x
 
:w
 
:m
 
:y
 
:b
 
:1
 
:2
 
:3
 
:4
 
:5
:6
 
:7
 
:8
 
:9