at home with victor frankenstein

| On
Saturday, November 22, 2008
I am having a wonderful lazy saturday. My sole job today is to finish re-reading Frankenstein for a Read the Classics book club meeting at the library tomorrow. I haven't read it since college -- it's funny how much I've forgotten. It's also weird finding penciled notes (in my handwriting) in the margins. Oh, current me is plenty irritated with college me for marking in the book, except when current me thinks "hey! that's a pretty smart observation there, college Jen. Why didn't you retain it?"

Victor sure does like to talk. A lot. And so modest! He's the kind of guy who would go on and on and on in a plane or on a train or you know, on a boat in an ice field. I would be reading a magazine or listening only with half an ear because he's really full of himself and kind of a bore -- maybe with one earbud still in (I know it's rude, but I don't know him and it's both presumptuous AND rude to talk the ear off a stranger in a confined space) until some small corner of my brian recognizes what he's actually saying and the gum falls out of my mouth.

"I paused, examining and analysing all the minutiae of causation, as exemplified in the change from life to death, and death to life, until from the midst of this darkness a sudden light broke in upon me -- a light so brilliant and so wondrous, yet so simple, that while I became dizzy with the immensity of the prospect which it illustrated, I was surprised, that among so many men of genius who had directed their inquiries toward the same science, I alone should be reserved to discover so astonishing a secret."

I still have a ways to go -- Victor is just coming home to Geneva after creating his monster, going crazy, and learning of the death of his brother William. I think it's just about to really get cracking. (why did I wait until dark?! At least there's no lightning tonight.) I can't wait to get to the Monster. Now there's someone who could keep the attention of a distracted seatmate. I would listen to him for hours if it weren't for the fact that he probably wants to rip off my arms and hit me with them. He does have a way with the curses and warnings: "I may die; but you my tyrant and tormentor, shall curse the sun that gazes on your misery. Beware; for I am fearless, and therefore powerful. I will watch with the wiliness of a snake, that I may sting with its venom. Man, you shall repent of the injuries you inflict."

Okay. Back to it. I hope I don't scare myself sleepless.
Be First to Post Comment !
Post a Comment

EMOTICON
Klik the button below to show emoticons and the its code
Hide Emoticon
Show Emoticon
:D
 
:)
 
:h
 
:a
 
:e
 
:f
 
:p
 
:v
 
:i
 
:j
 
:k
 
:(
 
:c
 
:n
 
:z
 
:g
 
:q
 
:r
 
:s
:t
 
:o
 
:x
 
:w
 
:m
 
:y
 
:b
 
:1
 
:2
 
:3
 
:4
 
:5
:6
 
:7
 
:8
 
:9