the change we seek

| On
Wednesday, November 05, 2008
(Note: I planned to post this last night, but my internet connection went awol while I was uploading images so I went to bed instead. "today/this morning" was Wednesday.)

I've spent most of the day reading articles and commentary and answering my "can it be true?" question with an emphatic "yes, it can!" It feels pretty good. Last night it was just too much to take in -- my happiness, relief, pride and hopes for this new beginning got all tangled up with a bunch of other Already In Progress strong emotions and I was overloaded. This morning was better. Mostly, I think, because it was not just a beautiful dream!!

One of my favorite things today (besides seeing IT'S OBAMA in huge letters) has been looking at various election related slide shows and photo essays*. (the NYTimes and the Huffington Post both have some good ones.) I love seeing huge long lines as people wait to vote all across the country. I love seeing people celebrating around the world, I love behind the scenes photos from the campaign, I love seeing newspaper headlines and magazine covers from all over. Most of all, (unrelated to slide shows) I love that the electorate finally got its shit together and voted to begin the work ahead. There is so much work ahead!

I was watching part of Lou Dobbs today (I realize it's a sickness), and was shocked to hear both Lou and David Frum speak of Obama's community organizing without sneering. Even they had to acknowledge that something big has been organized here. I'm so happy that we as Americans are not just invited to be a part of it, but considered to be essential to success! (compare to the last 8 years of toddler-like "I DO IT! I am the decider!" toy throwing tantrums.) Anyway -- I have some photos and things to say about Oregon's Vote By Mail, but I don't have the pictures uploaded yet so it will have to wait. (I'll do it before the inauguration!)

Here's one of my favorite parts from Obama's speech last night. I love that he doesn't back away from the hard work ahead and that he emphasizes that this is the work of our nation -- we must all share in it: "What began twenty-one months ago in the depths of winter must not end on this autumn night. This victory alone is not the change we seek - it is only the chance for us to make that change.  And that cannot happen if we go back to the way things were.  It cannot happen without you."


*thursday update: interesting post on the Year In Pictures about a photo essay on Time.com.

**Design for Obama has some great poster art images and gets more daily.
Be First to Post Comment !
Post a Comment

EMOTICON
Klik the button below to show emoticons and the its code
Hide Emoticon
Show Emoticon
:D
 
:)
 
:h
 
:a
 
:e
 
:f
 
:p
 
:v
 
:i
 
:j
 
:k
 
:(
 
:c
 
:n
 
:z
 
:g
 
:q
 
:r
 
:s
:t
 
:o
 
:x
 
:w
 
:m
 
:y
 
:b
 
:1
 
:2
 
:3
 
:4
 
:5
:6
 
:7
 
:8
 
:9