one thing at once

| On
Sunday, January 17, 2010
Today my intentions (currently paving the road to hell) were to do many of the interim things that must be done before I can move on and do something else, but I'm at the phase of my cold where more than one thing at a time is not possible, unless one of those things is watching tv or blowing my nose. So really the only thing I got done, done was uploading my pictures to flickr. I did it while I watched the golden globes so I guess that's kind of barely multi-tasking. (I think maybe I need to switch from attempted multi-tasking to sequential mono-tasking. Can you ever REALLY do two or more things at once? I'm not talking two birds/one stone or walking/talking.)

ANYWAY. Behold! Here are some recent photos. Let's start with nature:

mossy green
I love this green! These greens! I took 6 versions of this picture, and this is the only one that turned out. The mosses were on a piece of bark I found at the park. I was holding it in my hand, which may be why it took so many tries to get one in focus.

lacy
I love how lacy these willow branches are. There's got to be a better word than branch - they're all bendy and frondy, not stick-like and blocky. Hmmm. This mottled grey is the color of the sky in January. Although it's super windy right now as I type this, so maybe we'll have blue sky tomorrow. It rained all day today. (I mean every bit of the day - there was no not-raining.)

pillowcases
pillowcases - I stacked them up princess and the pea style to take this picture because I like how the dots look with the bright green. The green are from an Amy Butler sheet set that my mom gave me for Christmas. So wonderful! I love that they're very high quality (the nicest sheets I've ever had), but that they're also GREEN. It's like sleeping on very comfortable grass.

windowsill
I did manage to straighten up my desk a little bit today. This stuff sits in the windowsill right in front of my computer. It's mostly bits of whatever that I stuffed in my pockets at the beach (shell, barnacle shell) or at the park (acorn, various pieces of bark), but also a pretty business card from a photographer and a Ganesha domino I never finished coloring. (I think I was going for a sepia sort of look and FAILED, but couldn't quite bear to sandpaper it off and start again.)

the privateer
ha ha! Another Christmas present from my mom. (she's a good present-giver.) This is one of those old books that's been made over into a journal. They take books that are broken-spined or otherwise unsaveable, and make them into something new. Lucky for all of us, these journal-makers included the first 10 pages of the Gringo Privateer. Here is a sample from page 9. (I haven't quite worked out who His Majesty is, but he owns a bunch of ranches and apparently is really knowledgeable about cowboy fashion and knows that somebody has a "grudge against mail-order cowboys." Anyway - this is some dialogue between "The Stranger" and "His Majesty" - just a hunch: The Stranger is actually the Gringo Privateer!!)
"Yes, sir. Does your Majesty like my sombrero? I won that in a poker game from a man whose head was the same size as mine but not quite so well furnished. He assured me he paid a hundred dollars for it."

"Yes, it's wonderful." The king resumed his appraisal. "Gray French flannel shirt and black silk necktie. how long you been on the road, man?"

"Two days, sir."

"And you shaved today! You
are a dude. Whoever told you you were a cowboy?"

"Formerly my avocation, sir, but now my vocation."


Oh, man, reading to the end of page 10 (the last page I have) I see that the jig is up for somebody! "He got a dirty letter from your attorney and figured the jig was up." I may have to track the rest of this down.

chanel
speaking of fashion and books - this is from an oversized Chanel book that I checked out from the library. I had it for months (and barely looked at it), then TWO people had the temerity to put it on hold so I had to take it back. This is one of the dresses I liked very much - it's fancy and plain at the same time. Fairly simple design, but made of silk velvet - ooh la la! It was fun to flip through the book and make a game of guessing which designs were Coco Chanel's and which were Karl Lagerfeld's. (Team Coco!)
Be First to Post Comment !
Post a Comment

EMOTICON
Klik the button below to show emoticons and the its code
Hide Emoticon
Show Emoticon
:D
 
:)
 
:h
 
:a
 
:e
 
:f
 
:p
 
:v
 
:i
 
:j
 
:k
 
:(
 
:c
 
:n
 
:z
 
:g
 
:q
 
:r
 
:s
:t
 
:o
 
:x
 
:w
 
:m
 
:y
 
:b
 
:1
 
:2
 
:3
 
:4
 
:5
:6
 
:7
 
:8
 
:9