lunch hour troubadour

| On
Sunday, June 07, 2009
laurelhurst

A week ago I was working at one of my favorite branches and went to eat lunch at one of my favorite parks. It was a saturday, it was sunny, most of the picnic tables were reserved or occupied but I didn't care because I was out of the building and if it came down to it, I could sit on the grass. I found the lovely green bench pictured above, unpacked my bag (book, lunch, drink, camera, cellphone for a clock) and was very content. There were people around -- a couple with a small baby having a picnic on the lawn to the right, some frisbee people were doing what they do across the way (throw a frisbee in the middle of someone else's picnic, apologize, do it again 125 times, etc.), there were dogs romping and generally everyone was having a fine time in the sunshine. I was sitting with sunglasses on and book in hand thinking how lucky I was to be there on such a beautiful day.

laurelhurst

Someone rode a bike up to the empty grassy area to my left -- I wasn't really paying attention at this point since it's not as easy as it sounds to balance a book and a salad on a park bench. He started playing guitar, Django Reinhardt gypsy-jazz style. This could be bad news, but he was very good (not something you take for granted in a public park on a sunny saturday) which was a pleasant surprise. The next thing I noticed is that for some reason he wasn't wearing a shirt, but he was cute. (now that I think of it, this may in fact be the reason he wasn't wearing a shirt.) I continued reading my book and having my lunch and feeling pretty good about life in general. The music switched to something kind of pop-folky-blitzen-trappery -- for these he sang, and again, he was very good. Then one more song, a more bluesy number about his girl leaving town (this seemed familiar, but I couldn't quite place it), then the music stopped, he put on his shirt, put the guitar back in its case and rode away. I finished my lunch and went back to work, just as the ice cream truck (which in the park is an ice-cream bicycle) came by. It was so lovely.

laurelhurst
(this was taken looking up from the bench)
4 comments on "lunch hour troubadour"
  1. That sounds like a perfect day in the park. If it wasn't me that was able to enjoy it I am glad that it was you. Seriously!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you -- It was the perfect day in the park, distilled down to about 45 minutes! I hope you have 100 perfect days in the park this summer. (assuming the sun deigns to shine again.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the green in your photos. Green makes me feel so good. I think my most relaxed moments are spent in under the green canopy of tall trees.

    Last Sun. a bthdth party in Laurelhurst. Didn't need cake (though there were 3) to feel the day was perfect.

    Your photos wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for your kind words about the pics! Green totally makes me feel good too. Laurelhurst is one of the prettiest places in the city if you ask me -- you're lucky to be so close to it!

    p.s. THREE birthday cakes? What kind were they?

    ReplyDelete

EMOTICON
Klik the button below to show emoticons and the its code
Hide Emoticon
Show Emoticon
:D
 
:)
 
:h
 
:a
 
:e
 
:f
 
:p
 
:v
 
:i
 
:j
 
:k
 
:(
 
:c
 
:n
 
:z
 
:g
 
:q
 
:r
 
:s
:t
 
:o
 
:x
 
:w
 
:m
 
:y
 
:b
 
:1
 
:2
 
:3
 
:4
 
:5
:6
 
:7
 
:8
 
:9