various

| On
Friday, June 12, 2009
J cat says hello

general: this has been a strange week, but it seems like I keep saying that. maybe june is a strange month, or maybe I am suspended in a strangeness vortex that only looks strange to me.

locale: I am sitting outside under the massively blooming mock orange tree! I just had to go get a sweatshirt, but it's not actively raining and the tree smells really good so I am counting it in the win column.

weekly baby robin drama: courtesy of the cat known informally as the Orange Menace. Once again he brought a live bird up the stairs and into my bedroom so that I could admire it. Or maybe he just likes watching me wake up and freak out. (the robin is fine, but there was a fair amount of early morning slapstick involved in getting the bird back outside and reunited with its pissed off mama.)

sears and roebuck calling: earlier this week I got a telemarketing call from 1970! I picked up the phone and got that big long telemarketer lag, but I thought it might have been work so I hung in there. I said "hello" and got nothing but irritated. Just as I was getting ready to hang the hell up, a cheerful voice comes on and says "hell-o! Sears and Roebuck calling!" He was old (grandpa-old), and sounded just like the traveling fabric salesmen from New York I knew through my old job. (I loved these guys, by the way. They enjoyed telling ridiculous shaggy dog stories that were, at best, 15% factual and I enjoyed listening to them.) I immediately started to worry that Madoff had stolen this old man's money, and now he has to work trying to sell siding from sears -- but even as I worried, sears have been calling a lot lately and what's up with that? I mentioned these frequent calls to mr. hell-o roebuck, who said "we have? I'm so sorry! Thank you for telling me, honey. I'm going to get you off the list." Which is probably also only 15% factual, but I found him strangely charming. I hope he was some soon to retire executive they pulled from the back to help out in a pinch and not a recession/retirement scam victim. Whatever the case, I hope he is able to maintain the obvious joy he takes in his work!

portland facial hair update: Abe Lincoln beards have been holding steady, but I have noticed a definite uptick in waxed mustaches. And unicycles, but that's probably unrelated.
2 comments on "various"
  1. Waxed moustache's??? Do they have straw hats and striped jackets? I bet they migrated in from Twickenham!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I KNOW! Although the waxed mustache dudes are not riding unicycles... at least NOT YET.

    And so far none of them in striped jackets and straw hats, but I'm pretty sure one of them was wearing jockey silks. Ah, General Public, how I love thee!

    ReplyDelete

EMOTICON
Klik the button below to show emoticons and the its code
Hide Emoticon
Show Emoticon
:D
 
:)
 
:h
 
:a
 
:e
 
:f
 
:p
 
:v
 
:i
 
:j
 
:k
 
:(
 
:c
 
:n
 
:z
 
:g
 
:q
 
:r
 
:s
:t
 
:o
 
:x
 
:w
 
:m
 
:y
 
:b
 
:1
 
:2
 
:3
 
:4
 
:5
:6
 
:7
 
:8
 
:9