helpful hint, kindle in the bath edition

| On
Wednesday, January 30, 2013
conversely


HELPFUL HINT FOR READING WITH A KINDLE IN THE BATH

Ziplock bag! It probably wouldn't work (or at least not as well) with a touchscreen e-reader, but with my keyboard kindle (which has buttons), the quart sized ziplock bag works GREAT. I can see through to read and it's protected from my wet hands and accidental dozing/dropping. Plus, I love not having to constantly dry my hands on my hair in order to turn the page! 

Speaking of reading (dig my artful segue), right now I'm reading Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl. I'm enjoying it. The book is long, but I appreciate the set up work they're doing to build this world. This is the first of a YA series that I've been seeing around, but it wasn't until I saw the trailer for the movie (with Emma Thompson and Jeremy Irons chewing up the spanish moss and swampy scenery with outrageous southern accents) that I decided to move the first book in the series up my to-read list. (there are 4 books - I'm not sure if that's total, or so far.) 

Now that I'm poking around online I find a lot of people making snarky "Twilight with witches" remarks, to which I say "whatever"  -  it's such a lazy insult. If you must sniff dismissively at something, at least do it with a little imagination and panache.

I find it interesting that this story (which as you can see from the trailer below has a strong romantic element) is told from the boy's point of view. I'm right in the middle and things are starting to get super-bananas (which as we all know is part of Joseph Campbell's Hero's Journey monomyth). SUPER BANANAS (comes after the call to adventure, but before the return) with supernatural libraries, wrought iron, swamps, mean cheerleaders, creepy yet appealing mansions, annoying relatives and unexplored teenage witchy superpowers.

Ooh - BONUS: as you can see, the movie has (in addition to the aforementioned E.Thompson and J. Irons chewing it up with their foghorn leghorn / scarlet o'hara souther'en accents)  Viola Davis, who I like in everything because she is wonderful. 

Be First to Post Comment !
Post a Comment

EMOTICON
Klik the button below to show emoticons and the its code
Hide Emoticon
Show Emoticon
:D
 
:)
 
:h
 
:a
 
:e
 
:f
 
:p
 
:v
 
:i
 
:j
 
:k
 
:(
 
:c
 
:n
 
:z
 
:g
 
:q
 
:r
 
:s
:t
 
:o
 
:x
 
:w
 
:m
 
:y
 
:b
 
:1
 
:2
 
:3
 
:4
 
:5
:6
 
:7
 
:8
 
:9