teeth of the hydra

| On
Tuesday, March 07, 2006
I have been listening to Rhett Miller's new release The Believer. I am liking it, but not loving it. I think I just need to give it some more time. The thing I am fighting is that it has two Old 97's songs and uses a lot of phrasing he's used previously... so I am reminded of those songs which I know and mostly love, and these are not those! Fortunately, this is not a problem without a solution. A few more listens and the new stuff will start popping out with its own merit or lack of same.

The problem that will not be solved by even a million listenings is the newly recorded version of Singular Girl. The Old 97's version (which is of one of my favorite "hey, I like you crazy girl" songs ) has the charmingly inexplicable line "you've got the teeth of the hydra upon you," -- it's just so random, bizarre, and slightly confounding, which makes me love it all the more. This line has been removed from the new Rhett solo version. Why? Why the T. Rex or mythical monster hateration?

The universe agrees with me, and here's how I know: earlier today, while getting the last snips of one of the best haircuts I have ever received, the salon stereo started playing T. Rex's Bang a Gong, which is where they got the lyric! So, to restore order to the universe (and also to celebrate my awesome haircut) I offer a yousendit link (good for one week only) to the superior Singular Girl.
2 comments on "teeth of the hydra"
  1. I do love Rhett. But I'll always love the Old 97's stuff more than his solo stuff.

    Shhh...don't tell him!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree! I won't tell if you don't. I saw him live the first time as a solo act (supporting Neil Finn) when The Instigator came out. He was so cute when he would do an Old 97's song saying "and now I'd like to do a cover from a band called the Old 97's!"

    But then I saw the Old 97's live and it was one of the best shows I have ever been to in my life.

    ReplyDelete

EMOTICON
Klik the button below to show emoticons and the its code
Hide Emoticon
Show Emoticon
:D
 
:)
 
:h
 
:a
 
:e
 
:f
 
:p
 
:v
 
:i
 
:j
 
:k
 
:(
 
:c
 
:n
 
:z
 
:g
 
:q
 
:r
 
:s
:t
 
:o
 
:x
 
:w
 
:m
 
:y
 
:b
 
:1
 
:2
 
:3
 
:4
 
:5
:6
 
:7
 
:8
 
:9