check it out:

| On
Tuesday, May 13, 2008
library holds

Woo Hoo! Yesterday I got to pick up not one, not two, but THREE holds waiting for me at the library. They were all quality, too. First, The Invention of Hugo Cabret -- this is one I'd had out once before, but I put off reading it for too long and ran out of time. It's as big as a brick, but I saw that it was mostly pictures and underestimated how much time I'd need with it. The library has 65 copies and I still had to wait over 6 weeks to get it back again. (never underestimate the power of a caldecott medal.) This time, I'm not fooling around! I'm reading it first.

Second, The Rabbi's Cat 2 -- I quite enjoyed the first one, and am looking forward to this quite a bit. (click the link to see an excerpt.) I also just finished one of Sfar's other graphic novels, The Professor's Daughter. If you think you might enjoy an adventure/romance featuring not only The Professor's Daughter, but an egyptian mummy in a tailcoat and top hat, check it out! (double crossing! disguises! tragedy! triumph! tenderness! the aforementioned tailcoat and top hat! POISON! etc!)

Third, The McSweeney's Joke Book of Book Jokes. I believe this is culled mostly from McSweeney's Internet Tendency, much like Mountain Man Dance Moves, only one presumes with fewer unicorns. I know collections like this can be pretty uneven, but while flipping through it I laughed an embarrassingly loud laugh several times. SEVERAL TIMES. John Hodgman wrote the introduction. He imparts much wisdom, including the true secret of why books are funny.

leafing out
obviously this isn't a book from the library, but instead a tree from the park.
Be First to Post Comment !
Post a Comment

EMOTICON
Klik the button below to show emoticons and the its code
Hide Emoticon
Show Emoticon
:D
 
:)
 
:h
 
:a
 
:e
 
:f
 
:p
 
:v
 
:i
 
:j
 
:k
 
:(
 
:c
 
:n
 
:z
 
:g
 
:q
 
:r
 
:s
:t
 
:o
 
:x
 
:w
 
:m
 
:y
 
:b
 
:1
 
:2
 
:3
 
:4
 
:5
:6
 
:7
 
:8
 
:9