recent reading:

| On
Tuesday, August 09, 2005
Gloom Cookie vol. 1 by Serena Valentino #24

Gloomcookie! I found this while browsing the graphic novel section of my local library. I'd seen it mentioned here and there, and thought I would give it a whirl. It is a lot of gothy fun - PLUS there is an enchanted carnival, and I am all over those these days. It starts off not very heavy on story - it is more like a series of character sketches: the fey goth boy, the misunderstood goth princess, the evil hell-bitch wicked queen, the girl who looks sweet, the guy named Vermillion, and so on. But as the book develops, these character sketches start knitting themselves into a larger story. I will definitely keep my eye out for further issues. I decree it charming and delightful.


John Constantine Hellblazer: Dangerous Habits by Garth Ennis/ William Simpson #25

Hellblazer is one of the comics that has been on my list to check out -- of course it is also one of those really long-running titles that make it difficult to find a place to start. I think the local paper might have had a story on the comic when the movie Constantine came out and given some pointers. That makes the most sense, since this book is the point in the Hellblazer mythology where the movie more or less picks up (keeping in mind that it moved the action from London to LA, blond comic Constantine to Keanu, etc. etc.). I enjoyed both quite a bit - they are different enough that I think they can exist in the world together without causing some sort of matter/anti-matter explosion. John Constantine is a wizard or sorcerer of some kind - I'm not sure what kind, but he has some powerful mojo despite being brokedy broke and always mooching off of friends. In this book, he finds out he is dying from lung cancer and is almost certainly headed for hell. Constantine is a bit of a charmer and a trickster, so he views death as his final challenge. I really liked the characterizations a lot. He is kind of a bastard, but a charming bastard who does care about the people he feels close to. I don't want to give too much away, so I will just say that I adored that there is a character called The Snob who turns out to be the Archangel Gabriel. heh.
Be First to Post Comment !
Post a Comment

EMOTICON
Klik the button below to show emoticons and the its code
Hide Emoticon
Show Emoticon
:D
 
:)
 
:h
 
:a
 
:e
 
:f
 
:p
 
:v
 
:i
 
:j
 
:k
 
:(
 
:c
 
:n
 
:z
 
:g
 
:q
 
:r
 
:s
:t
 
:o
 
:x
 
:w
 
:m
 
:y
 
:b
 
:1
 
:2
 
:3
 
:4
 
:5
:6
 
:7
 
:8
 
:9