merry christmas, baby

| On
Saturday, December 24, 2005
DSCN1370

Merry Christmas! Happy Holidays! I hope these days are as nice as you could want. If you are frazzled (a common occurance when everybody is telling you to be happy) I recommend listening to the Sufjan Stevens Christmas songs. They are just about the perfect blend of traditional carols and new songs. The best part is none of them sound like they will ever be used in adverstisements or in-store music in Pottery Barn or the Gap, so there is no worry about retail burnout flashbacks. They are quiet but lively, fun but heartfelt, and the closest I've heard to my Ideal Christmas Songs. Plus, banjo! (in the more secular realm, I really think it is hard to go wrong with Elvis singing Merry Christmas,Baby, and Chris Isaak's Mele Kalikimaka) They both make me laugh like crazy, and laughing is supposed to be good for you, right?

This year, I miss my cousins. We don't really do anything when we get together at the holidays except play board games (Clue, usually) and watch movies. This year we are not together for a variety of reasons, one of them being that my cousin Deanna will be celebrating Christmas AND the first birthday of her twin boys tomorrow. In Fresno. I know we'll all see each other soon, and I swear, as soon as her kids are old enough to make indiscriminate and ill-considered accusations about who killed Mr. Body, it is ON. I like to think I will be able to out strategize a couple of 7 year olds (or whatever the beginning age is), but kids are wily so who knows.

For all that I lack in cousins this year, I am amply rewarded with really great friends and my immediate family. All of whom will play Clue with me if I agitate enough! I think there may be sightings of various other (non-cousin) family too, so that will be lovely. In a couple of hours Blondie will be stopping by, and tomorrow it is dinner at Martina's house. I had better get busy and do those things that need doing. All the best to you and yours.

Smithers
2 comments on "merry christmas, baby"
  1. Merry Christmas!!! I'm so excited that you guys are coming (especially now that I know there will be hats. YAY headgear!) Who knows, if you eat all your vegetables, we might even play Clue. Tee hee.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everything was so delicious and wonderful - thank you for having us!

    ReplyDelete

EMOTICON
Klik the button below to show emoticons and the its code
Hide Emoticon
Show Emoticon
:D
 
:)
 
:h
 
:a
 
:e
 
:f
 
:p
 
:v
 
:i
 
:j
 
:k
 
:(
 
:c
 
:n
 
:z
 
:g
 
:q
 
:r
 
:s
:t
 
:o
 
:x
 
:w
 
:m
 
:y
 
:b
 
:1
 
:2
 
:3
 
:4
 
:5
:6
 
:7
 
:8
 
:9