comics dabbler

| On
Thursday, January 20, 2005
Comics rule! Well, some of them anyway. I am a dabbling dabbler, the Duchess of Dabbleton, etc etc. I don't know everything about comics, or even much about them. But still - comics are cool! ( I feel like a 12 year old stating this, but 12 year olds are right about a lot of things).

I started reading comics only relatively recently. Until I realized how wonderful my library is, I thought there was no way I would be able to dip into various stories and see which ones would be a good fit. So, since the library rocks and has tons of trade paper versions of comics, I was able to check out some of the ones that I thought looked interesting.

Mostly, I haven't read many of the iconic comics (say, X-Men, Spider-man, JLA, etc), but that's because there is SO MUCH I can never figure out where a good place to start would be and would go crazy(er) without that backstory. I might be willing to take the time to figure it out for Batman, though. The ones I have read are probably very predictable, but I don't mind as long as I'm getting a good story. I was going to do a whole list thing, but that is too freaking long. So, I'll just put up maybe one at a time (with a list of issues to help me later on when I can't remember what I've read).

Sandman - Neil Gaiman - I finally finished these after waiting to get them in the right order from the library. I thought these were great, although I suspect they had a much bigger splash as they were coming out. This was one of the first comics (graphic novels, whatever) that I set out to read, and the first of this series was very horror-like and freaked me out but good. Certain horror stuff bothers me not at all, but some of it gives me the heebie jeebies FOREVER. I had read somewhere that they got better, and to keep pushing on and I'm glad I did. By the time it came to an end, I was sad but satisfied. And, as much as I'd like to say just skip the first one, you really can't because so many characters appear again. Here's the order to read the collected versions in. (don't worry - it's not some crazy made-up-by-me order)

Preludes & Nocturnes
A Doll's House
Dream Country
Season Of Mists
A Game of You
Fables & Reflections
Brief Lives
World's End
The Kindly Ones
The Wake
2 comments on "comics dabbler"
  1. OMG! I just read one of the Sandman books (out of order - horror!) and have now started on the first one. They belong to SLM so I just leave them at his house because they're so easy to pick up from where you left off. And if I had them at my house I'd breeze through them and have nothing left! So the first one I read was Brief Lives - awesome!
    -Leslita

    ReplyDelete
  2. WooHOO! We'll have to talk about them more once you've finished. I know exactly what you mean about taking your time with them, though. I kind of blew through the last two (and one special edition thing that came out just last year) really fast because they all came in at once. I want to give myeslf a little time to digest, and then I want to read them again. The second half of the series is really amazing.

    ReplyDelete

EMOTICON
Klik the button below to show emoticons and the its code
Hide Emoticon
Show Emoticon
:D
 
:)
 
:h
 
:a
 
:e
 
:f
 
:p
 
:v
 
:i
 
:j
 
:k
 
:(
 
:c
 
:n
 
:z
 
:g
 
:q
 
:r
 
:s
:t
 
:o
 
:x
 
:w
 
:m
 
:y
 
:b
 
:1
 
:2
 
:3
 
:4
 
:5
:6
 
:7
 
:8
 
:9