faux profundity, reconditeness, and other job search vocab

| On
Tuesday, January 18, 2005
In an effort to be a better prepared candidate in that thing we call "looking for work", I have been reading Competency-Based Resumes: how to bring your resume to the top of the pile. I figured it wouldn't hurt to get up to date with the latest job-search jargon. What I hate is that there IS so much jargon. To my untrained ear it just sounds like Dr. Phil and Oprah sloganeering crossed with management seminar dogma. I wish this were a world where saying that I am honest, hard-working, quick to learn, conscientious, and a good typist would be enough. I'm not naive enough to think this is possible, hence brushing up on the jargon. What I have learned today: Competency-based skill assessment is all the rage. It says so right here on every single page up to chapter 4. It also has The Sphinx-style (from The Mystery Men) profound statements like In order to aim the arrow, you must see the target. Which, granted, is not bad advice, but it followed too close to a whole segment about Alice receiving directions from the Cheshire cat.

That being said, so far it isn't a BAD book, for what it is.

My vocabulary word of the day (that I just learned when checking to make sure I was spelling profundity right):

recondite adj : difficult to penetrate; incomprehensible to one of ordinary understanding or knowledge; "the professor's lectures were so abstruse that students tended to avoid them"; "a deep metaphysical theory"; "some recondite problem in historiography"
Be First to Post Comment !
Post a Comment

EMOTICON
Klik the button below to show emoticons and the its code
Hide Emoticon
Show Emoticon
:D
 
:)
 
:h
 
:a
 
:e
 
:f
 
:p
 
:v
 
:i
 
:j
 
:k
 
:(
 
:c
 
:n
 
:z
 
:g
 
:q
 
:r
 
:s
:t
 
:o
 
:x
 
:w
 
:m
 
:y
 
:b
 
:1
 
:2
 
:3
 
:4
 
:5
:6
 
:7
 
:8
 
:9