floor cloth

| On
Wednesday, January 26, 2005
I'm making a floor cloth for my bedroom. It was on my list of things to get done, or at least mostly done, in January. So far all I have to show for it is three blisters on my right hand, and a giant pink piece of canvas. But it will get better, for I have bandaids and more paint.

Blondie showed me how to make a floor cloth out of painter's canvas drop cloth, and leftover latex paint. hooray! I have made two prior to this one, so I am hoping to coast by on just left-overs for this project. It is so easy, it isn't even funny. Basically, you just keep applying layer after layer of paint until the canvas resembles a piece of linoleum. You can use whatever weird/crappy colors of paint you may have laying around for the build up coats, and then use the paint you want to show for the last layer. Top with a water-based varnish/top coat, and you're done! The trick is that it takes a lot of paint, and if you want it to lay down reasonably well you really need to paint both sides. I ended up making the second (smaller) one that I did reversable.

I am trying using a dense foam roller instead of a brush. At first I thought it was brilliant since it gets the paint down in the fibers better than a plain old paintbrush would do - but now I am wondering if it is delivering enough paint. If maybe I wouldn't have quite so many blisters if i just used a paintbrush. Once this coat dries, I may switch and see. another exciting day in projectville.
Be First to Post Comment !
Post a Comment

EMOTICON
Klik the button below to show emoticons and the its code
Hide Emoticon
Show Emoticon
:D
 
:)
 
:h
 
:a
 
:e
 
:f
 
:p
 
:v
 
:i
 
:j
 
:k
 
:(
 
:c
 
:n
 
:z
 
:g
 
:q
 
:r
 
:s
:t
 
:o
 
:x
 
:w
 
:m
 
:y
 
:b
 
:1
 
:2
 
:3
 
:4
 
:5
:6
 
:7
 
:8
 
:9