read this, if you haven't already

| On
Thursday, September 08, 2005
I have been meaning to mention this piece on Salon by Cintra Wilson: I invaded the White House press corps. If you haven't already read it, do. I found it riveting and fascinating - it is exactly the kind of inside character stuff I love to read. This is a well-written glimpse into the press room, with observations and insight into the various personalities and how they interact on their own turf.

I will be rooting extra hard for NBC's David Gregory in every press conference since he seems most able to get through the implacable wall of deflection that is Scott McClellan. This particular piece dealt with the aftermath of the Plame scandal, but is certainly as relevant as ever in the wake of hurricane Katrina and the media finally getting some spine in the face of the administration's heartless, incompetent response.

Two side notes:

*there has got to be a special place in hell for Karl Rove and his whisper campaigns - this whole "blame game" nonsense has got his nefarious fingerprints all over it.

* I had a visceral dislike of Ari Fleischer (much like his boss whose voice alone makes me instantly aggro). Just the sight of Fleischer made me want to put his egg-shaped head in a giant egg-cup and beat on it with a heavy spoon. But Ari got mad, at least. I don't get McClellan. He is cool as a cucumber. Occasionally he gets ruffled, but mostly he is just able to engage in a giant game of "I know you are but what am I?" or some other juvenile word-torture without breaking a sweat. If it weren't in aid of an administration I find so heinous, I would kind of admire his zen-like detachment.
3 comments on "read this, if you haven't already"
  1. You know, even if the Salon article weren't fascinating, your side note on Ari Fleischer makes the post worth reading. "Just the sight of Fleischer made me want to put his egg-shaped head in a giant egg-cup and beat on it with a heavy spoon." You CRACK me up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hee hee! Well, I'm glad I crack you up, but it is ALL TRUE.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know what the best part is? The mental picture I have of you doing it!

    ReplyDelete

EMOTICON
Klik the button below to show emoticons and the its code
Hide Emoticon
Show Emoticon
:D
 
:)
 
:h
 
:a
 
:e
 
:f
 
:p
 
:v
 
:i
 
:j
 
:k
 
:(
 
:c
 
:n
 
:z
 
:g
 
:q
 
:r
 
:s
:t
 
:o
 
:x
 
:w
 
:m
 
:y
 
:b
 
:1
 
:2
 
:3
 
:4
 
:5
:6
 
:7
 
:8
 
:9