I didn't even know it

| On
Monday, September 05, 2005
I was in Barnes and Noble yesterday with my sister, and I found there is a category of books that just makes me bat-shit crazy and I am not even rational about it at all. Crazy in the actually angry way, and not just in the "oh, how amusing, I love it" way. Are you ready for this? Mysteries solved by cats or dogs or recipes or chocolate. I CANNOT STAND THEM. They make me angry in ways I am not prepared to articulate. One that almost got me thrown out (Ok, ok, it almost got the guy from behind the info counter to see if there was going to be a 'disturbance' in the mystery aisle) was a novel that combined all three. I think a chocolate cat who writes cookbooks was the detective. To quote Homer Simpson, my Urge to Kill was rising. I will have to think on it to see why it bothers me so much. I mean, I obviously read lots of books that are light reading - why would I begrudge someone their crime solving cupcake book? I am going to have to think on it more, because right now all I can think is "BECAUSE it is freaking stupid, is why!!" That's no way to win an argument.
2 comments on "I didn't even know it"
  1. It's ok. I wouldn't worry. I have similar feelings towards those "women's literature" displays they have at chain bookstores. You know the ones I mean? The ones with stylized cartoons of a women with shopping shopping bags and whose blurb on the back read about how someone named Wanda is shoe crazy and going on some Sex in the City (I never got that show either) rampage through the city in search of a man and a good sale. Don't get me wrong, if a person enjoys them, there's nothing wrong with them for a little light reading. Hell, I read my fair share of crapp too. It's more the idea that THAT is "women's literature", like we're all too stupid to read anything that has some real depth. Obviously, I know that there there are other books out there, but it's just the way this particular genre is marketed that I find incredibly annoying. Sheesh. DOn't even get me started. And that goes double for Oprah's Book Club. For some possibly irrational reason, I really have it in for Oprah. I could go on and on and on about this. So, see. You're not alone. Next time you want to cause a scene in the mystery aisle, you should take me along. Then I can create a distraction over in women's books.

    ReplyDelete
  2. so... This would drive you nuts right?

    Chocolate Chip Cookie Murder by JoAnne Fluke

    Independent-minded Hannah Swenson makes her debut in a cleverly plotted cozy, full of appealing characters and delicious cookie recipes. Returning after her father's death to her hometown of Lake Eden, Minn., Hannah opens her own shop, the Cookie Jar, where much of the town's gossip percolates along with the strong coffee. Early one morning, she finds the driver of a delivery truck shot dead in the alley behind her shop. Hannah's brother-in-law, Bill, the county's deputy sheriff, recruits her to help him chase down the culprit. A surprising number of suspects emerges, but due to her cafe business and catering of local social events, Hannah is admirably placed to hear all, see much and investigate a little. Motives ranging from blackmail to extortion abound, as do descriptions of clothing and shopping. Cat fanciers will appreciate knowing how Hannah found her cat, but separating the wheat of the significant from the chaff of the irrelevant can be challenging. Fluke also stretches the imagination when Bill leaves most of the sleuthing to Hannah and when the sheriff's men fail to discover a second body at the dairy where the first victim was employed. But these are minor lapses in a story satisfyingly packed with plot twists and red herrings. The Pecan Chews recipe is especially recommended.

    ReplyDelete

EMOTICON
Klik the button below to show emoticons and the its code
Hide Emoticon
Show Emoticon
:D
 
:)
 
:h
 
:a
 
:e
 
:f
 
:p
 
:v
 
:i
 
:j
 
:k
 
:(
 
:c
 
:n
 
:z
 
:g
 
:q
 
:r
 
:s
:t
 
:o
 
:x
 
:w
 
:m
 
:y
 
:b
 
:1
 
:2
 
:3
 
:4
 
:5
:6
 
:7
 
:8
 
:9