bandit/bait

| On
Tuesday, November 15, 2005
Bandit Queen Boogie: A Madcap Caper of Two Accidental Criminals, by Sparkle Hayter #38
I have missed Sparkle Hayter! I liked Bandit Queen Boogie a lot - it was fast and fun and slightly felonious. I really admire the way that Hayter is able to write these caper-style novels. BQB is simultaneously completely over the top, and totally believable. I think a lot of this is because she writes such great female characters. For example, both Blackie and Chloe are funny, wrong, right, nice, mean, selfish, generous, tough and vulnerable... you get the idea. They are relateable - even as they do things I'd never do. I need to read her next book - Naked Brunch - it looks like it might be even more fun. I am still missing her character Robin Hudson, but it looks like I won't have to be missing her for long... I just checked her website, and it looks like there will be a new Robin Hudson book. Yay! Sparkle Hayter also keeps a blog, which makes me love her even more.

Live Bait by PJ Tracy #39 - This is the followup novel to Monkeewrench, which I just read not that long ago. I enjoyed this one, but not as much as the first. There are several reasons I can think of: 1) I didn't wait long enough. If I had waited 6 months or a year, it probably would have been fine to dip back into that universe and not be disappointed with who is or isn't there. 2) It was summer in the novel. For some reason, Minneapolis in the summer is a lot less interesting to me than Minneapolis in the winter. Unless Prince was having a BBQ, and then I would be all over Minneapolis in the summer. Alas, he did not- at least not in this book. 3) I had totally imagined Magozzi all wrong! (I know writers don't spell too much out and let people meet them halfway, but don't go adding distinctive handlebar mustaches or whatnot late in the game because it will mess with my head). 4) Nazis.
Be First to Post Comment !
Post a Comment

EMOTICON
Klik the button below to show emoticons and the its code
Hide Emoticon
Show Emoticon
:D
 
:)
 
:h
 
:a
 
:e
 
:f
 
:p
 
:v
 
:i
 
:j
 
:k
 
:(
 
:c
 
:n
 
:z
 
:g
 
:q
 
:r
 
:s
:t
 
:o
 
:x
 
:w
 
:m
 
:y
 
:b
 
:1
 
:2
 
:3
 
:4
 
:5
:6
 
:7
 
:8
 
:9