decemberist's show part II: the minus 5

| On
Tuesday, November 08, 2005
The Minus 5!

I knew nothing about The Minus 5 before seeing them live, except for their AMG biography, which is not hugely helpful if you've never heard any of it. What a great surprise! The first song sounded very brit-popish and made me think of the Austin Powers soundtracks (which is a good thing, as far as I'm concerned). Somewhere around the middle of their set, though, they had a song that sounded like it was being sung by the devil (the devil who sits on ones shoulder and makes inappropriate suggestions, which if one follows one will almost certainly be filled with regret, yet one does not care because the devil makes a persuasive argument.) Here is where I had my Minus 5 epiphany. They are so much more than the sum of their (supergroup) parts! They are one of the few who have the hotline to that sexually charged and wildly flailing energy of rock music that so many try for but don't quite reach. Or at least they had the number on Nov. 4, 2005. I don't know why, I don't know how. It's alchemy.

side notes:

+ the drummer is awesome

+ why is it that some rock dudes (like say, the Minus 5) will let their hair go grey and who cares- but politicians and the media (Trent Lott and Mike Wallace, I'm looking at you) insist on shoe-polish black long after it is reasonable? I mean, if your face looks like crepe paper, you're fooling nobody with your blue-black hair! (I guess one could argue right back at me with Steven Tyler and Anderson Cooper - but at least Steven Tyler has highlights put in so it's not just BLACK)

+Hey - that's Peter Buck from R.E.M.! I wonder if it feels weird or what for him to play venues this small? The people in the crowd are RIGHT THERE.
Be First to Post Comment !
Post a Comment

EMOTICON
Klik the button below to show emoticons and the its code
Hide Emoticon
Show Emoticon
:D
 
:)
 
:h
 
:a
 
:e
 
:f
 
:p
 
:v
 
:i
 
:j
 
:k
 
:(
 
:c
 
:n
 
:z
 
:g
 
:q
 
:r
 
:s
:t
 
:o
 
:x
 
:w
 
:m
 
:y
 
:b
 
:1
 
:2
 
:3
 
:4
 
:5
:6
 
:7
 
:8
 
:9